Reopening Our Schools
Reopening Our Schools
For several weeks, the ACPS administration has been focusing most of our efforts on developing a framework to support a safe return to school for our students and staff. I want to thank each of you who completed the parent surveys we have sent. These preliminary surveys have been extremely beneficial to us as we developed the scheduling models I was able to share with the board at the June 25th meeting. (The link for this document is at the bottom of this posting.)
These Schedule Models are developed to cover a range of scenarios we could possibly use to reopen schools in the fall. They are organized from most restrictive to least. There are pros and cons to each and much work is still needed to make the less restrictive models even possible.
As you are reviewing these models, please keep in mind:
1. ACPS will provide an alternative ACPS Supported Virtual Learning Program for those unable or unwilling to return to a school building during this health crisis.
2. All models will include consideration of additional time and/or support for certain students with disabilities, English Learners, and medically fragile students.
3. A Hybrid Model is an approach to course delivery that combines in person instruction with computer supported instruction.
4. The East and West Groups referenced in Models 3 and 4 are created by dividing the county into 2 groups (residents east of town and residents west of town). More information about those designations will be forthcoming.
5. Social distancing on buses and in buildings is the most impactful variable for in person instruction.
In addition, there are consultations to be held with local officials, VDH, VDOE. The health and safety of our community will drive the decisions until COVID-19 is abated. In the next few weeks, the School Board will be carefully considering all of the scheduling models and choosing the one that best serves our students and community. Clearly, we all share the common goal of returning to school 5 days a week with all of our students and staff. The School Board and ACPS staff are committed to working non-stop until that goal can be achieved.
I want to thank you for the overwhelming support we have received from the parents and community during this crisis. Your continued patience and support is inspiring as we navigate these reopening challenges together.